It’s no secret that taking a hot bath is one of the most relaxing activities out there. After a long day at work or a challenging workout, nothing quite compares to the feeling of sinking into the warmth of the water. But you might be wondering how to properly drain that hot tub when its time to empty it out. Draining a Nordic Hot Tub is not as hard as you think, and with this guide, you can have your tub drained and ready to go in no time. Let’s take a look at the necessary steps to take on How to Drain a Nordic Hot Tub.
How to Drain a Nordic Hot Tub
Draining a Nordic hot tub can seem like a daunting task at first, but with the right supplies and knowledge, it’s actually not that difficult! In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps of draining a Nordic hot tub, from gathering the supplies, to plugging the drain, to opening up the valve and draining the remaining water. By the end, you’ll be an expert at draining a Nordic hot tub! So let’s get started!
Draining a Nordic hot tub requires a few pieces of equipment to ensure that the process is done safely and properly. Before you start, make sure you have the following supplies:
- Project bucket for draining off the excess water
- Garden hose for connecting to the drain valve
- Crescent wrench or pliers to remove the valve cover
- Plumber’s tape to seal the valve
- Sponge or paper towel to absorb any remaining water
Once you have gathered the necessary supplies, you’re ready to start the draining process. Make sure all of the supplies are within reach in case you need them at any point during the draining process. Also, make sure that the area around the tub is clear of debris and objects that could obstruct the draining process.
Prepare the Tub for Draining
Before draining a Nordic hot tub, be sure to prepare the tub by cleaning it and removing any debris or dirt. Doing this before draining the water will help to reduce the chances that debris will clog the pump and valves while draining. To do this, turn off the power to the hot tub and remove any removable elements such as the filters, jets, and screens, and clean the entire area inside of the hot tub using a soft brush and a mild cleaning solution.
Once the interior of the hot tub is clean, collect any toys or other floating accessories, and remove any large items from the surfaces. Make sure all of these items are stored away from the water, so that they are not damaged when the water is drained.
Checklist for Preparing the Tub for Draining:
- Turn off the power to the hot tub
- Remove any removable elements
- Clean the interior of the hot tub
- Collect any toys or other floating accessories
- Remove any large items from the surfaces
- Store important items away from the water
Drain the remaining water from the tub once the tub is completely prepared and cleaned. Doing so without properly preparing the tub can lead to more issues down the line, and increase the chances of the parts becoming clogged with debris.
Hook Up a Hose to the Valve
The next step in draining a Nordic hot tub is to hook up a garden hose to the drain valve. Before proceeding, make sure the power is off and all removable parts have been removed from the tub.
To hook up the garden hose, you will need to use a crescent wrench or pliers to loosen the drain valve from its housing. Once the valve is loosened, install the garden hose onto the valve. For extra security, you may want to use plumber’s tape to ensure a tight seal.
Once the garden hose is in place, you’ll need to plug the drain at the base of the hot tub. To do this, grab a project bucket and a sponge or towel. Place the project bucket on the ground and place the sponge or towel in it. Place the plug into the drain, making sure the sponge is completely covering the opening.
Now that the hose is hooked up and the drain is plugged, you are ready to open the valve and start draining the remaining water from the tub.
Plug a Drain in the Tub
When draining a Nordic hot tub, it is important to plug a drain in the tub. This will prevent dirt, leaves and other debris from entering the system when the hose is connected and the valve is opened. Plugs are available in both rubber and nylon materials, and should be based on the size and shape of the tub’s drain. To plug the drain, attach a small piece of plumber’s tape (also known as Teflon tape) to the threads of the drain. Place the plug firmly in the threads, making sure to leave enough space for the hose when it is connected. To complete the plug process, use a crescent wrench or pliers to tighten it. Once the plug is installed and the hose is connected, the remaining water can be drained from the tub.
Finally, when draining the tub, it is important to keep the drain hose lower than the valve. This will help prevent air from getting into the system. Air in the system can cause problems with the valve and pump and may damage the tub itself. By allowing the hose to remain lower than the valve component, it will create natural pressure which will pull the remaining water out of the system to complete the draining process.
Open the Drain Valve
Opening the drain valve is the last step to draining a Nordic hot tub. Position the drain valve horizontally, if possible, and take the garden hose off the plug. Make sure project bucket is close by to collect the remaining water. Then, use a crescent wrench or pliers to secure plumber’s tape around the drain valve. Moisten the tape with water to make tightening easier. Once the tape is secure, twist the valve open and the remaining water should start draining.
When the water starts draining, use a sponge or towel to help clear any debris or residue. Keep the garden hose lower than the valve to reduce pressure and ensure the draining process is running smoothly. Monitor the draining process periodically, closing the valve if the water starts backing up. With the right preparation and knowledge, anyone can be an expert at draining a Nordic hot tub.
Drain the Remaining Water from the Tub
Once the drain valve is open, attach the garden hose to the valve and lower it until it reaches the project bucket. This will allow the remaining water to flow out of the hot tub. Monitor the levels of the water as it drains and make sure the garden hose doesn’t get clogged with debris. The water should drain from the tub within a few minutes. Once all of the water is out of the system, simply turn off the valve and unplug the hose.
It is best to place a towel in the drain before draining the remaining water. This prevents debris, such as leaves, screws, and dirt, from entering the system. Keep an eye on the water levels during the draining process and remove any debris as it appears.
To make sure all the water has been drained from the system, examine the jets, filter housing, and other components. Before powering up the hot tub, check the water line to ensure it is empty and that no water remains in the system. Once the draining process is complete, the hot tub can be refilled and used.
Some tips to consider when draining a Nordic hot tub include:
- Make sure to turn off all power to the hot tub before starting the draining process.
- Keep the garden hose and drain bucket lower than the drain valve. This creates natural pressure which will help drain the remaining water from the system.
- Place a towel in the drain before draining the remaining water. This will help prevent debris from entering the system.
- Monitor the water levels as it drains and remove any debris as it appears.
- Examine the jets, filter housing, and other components after draining the water. Make sure that the water line is empty and that no water remains in the system before powering up the hot tub again.
Some Tips to Consider When Draining a Nordic Hot Tub
When draining a Nordic hot tub, it is important to ensure the safety of yourself, the tub, and any associated equipment. Here are some tips to consider when draining a Nordic hot tub:
- Always turn off the power to the hot tub before draining.
- Detach any removable parts before draining the remaining water.
- Hook up a garden hose to the drain valve.
- Place a project bucket and towel into the drain.
- Open the drain valve to begin the draining process.
- Plug a drain in the tub and tighten with a crescent wrench or pliers.
- Keep the drain hose lower than the valve to create natural pressure.
- Monitor the draining process and remove any debris.
- Make sure the water line is empty before powering up the hot tub.
- When finished, dispose of the water responsibly.
Following these simple tips will help to ensure the efficient and safe draining of a Nordic hot tub. With the proper knowledge, anyone can be an expert at draining a hot tub.
How do I get my hot tub to drain?
1. Turn off the power to the hot tub and ensure that all of the water has been emptied from the tub.
2. Disconnect the main drain connection between the pump and the main drain line.
3. Connect a garden hose to the pump and connect the other end of the hose to a garden faucet or other drain.
4. Turn on the water at the faucet and the pump will begin to suck up the excess water from the hot tub.
5. When the water is completely drained, turn off the water and disconnect the hose.
6. Reconnect the main drain connection and turn the power back on.
How do you drain a hot tub with a hose?
1. Start by connecting a garden hose to the main drainage outlet spigot of the hot tub.
2. Launch the opposite end of the hose in a downhill direction if possible. The downhill setup helps to create a vacuum suction with the water that drains, allowing it to flow continuously.
3. Place the end of the hose into another container or directly into a drainage sewer.
4. Next, turn on the main spigot to the hot tub. This will gradually release the water, which will flow via the hose.
5. Monitor the draining of the hot tub to ensure that all water is sufficiently drained out.
6. Once the hot tub is completely empty and all water removed, shut off the main spigot and disconnect the hose.
Where is the drain plug on a hot tub?
The drain plug on a hot tub is usually located near the bottom of the hot tub and may be accessible from the inside or outside of the tub. It is typically labelled as the “drain” or “drain plug.”
How do you turn off the jets on a Nordic hot tub?
To turn off the jets on a Nordic hot tub, stop the circulation pump and turn off the power at the circuit breaker. You can also disconnect the jet pump to the spa pack. Make sure to contact a professional if you need assistance in turning off the hot tub jets.
In conclusion, learning how to drain a Nordic hot tub is not as intimidating as it may seem. With a little bit of know-how, anyone can learn how to drain a Nordic hot tub. Gather the supplies, detach any removable parts, hook up a garden hose to the valve, and monitor the process while draining the water. Always remember to power off the hot tub before draining, clear any debris from the drain, and dispose of the water responsibly. Now that you know how to drain a Nordic hot tub, you can enjoy your hot tub for hours and hours of relaxation, knowing it is properly drained when you are done.